Moving can be a stressful time and you must be wondering How to Reduce Moving Home Stress ? With right preparation, changing homes can be an enjoyable event for the whole family. To get you started on the right foot, we put together some tips to ensure you’re move is as smooth as possible.
Preparing for the Move
- Lessen the load. Go through all your belongings and decide what’s worth keeping. This will make life easier on moving day and you can look forward to a clutter-free new home.
- Take note. Make sure you have a record of every valuable item you plan to move.
- Organise records. If you have kids, ensure their current schools are ready to transfer their records. It’s also important to have everyone’s medical records along with recommendations for doctors in your new local area.
- Reassure your kids. Moving can be an uncertain time for children, especially if they are leaving the home they have known for life. Include your kids in discussions about moving and take them through what will happen on moving day.
- Shop around. It’s time to decide if you are able to move yourself or need to hire a moving company. When comparing moving companies, find out if they are insured and bonded, whether they hire temporary movers, and how they charge. Click here to get a free moving quote.
- Booking a partner. If you decide to use a moving company, be sure to give them a call well in advance of your ideal moving date. Schedules at moving companies fill-up fast, especially during the summer.
- Protect your belongings. Order the right boxes and packing supplies. Wardrobe and other speciality boxes make packing much easier and give you peace of mind. Do not resort to food or supermarket boxes as you never know what might be hiding inside or if the box will be capable of bearing heavy weights.
- Packing. Clearly label each box with its contents and the room to which it belongs. Pack important and sentimental items separately so they are easily accessible and properly protected; transport these items yourself on moving day.
- Notify important parties. Inform your bank, insurance provider, employer, utility companies and magazines or newspapers that you subscribe to of your new address. Try and find creative and fun ways to let friends and family know you are moving.
- Confirm the move. Contact your moving company in the days preceding the move to confirm your booking and ensure they have directions to the right locations.
On Moving Day
- Pack a suitcase. Packing a suitcase or ‘day of the move’ box with essential items and clothes prevents the need to dig through multiple boxes for important items on arrival day
- Initial walk-through. Take the time to do an initial walk-through with your movers. Make sure they have an inventory of your items and know what they’re moving.
- Lock up. When you’ve finished loading your belongings, walk through the house and check that nothing has been forgotten, the doors and windows are locked, and the lights are off.