It’s difficult to decide what moving company you can trust with your valuable possessions – we get that.
Regardless of what company you choose, we want to provide you with a List of questions to ask when shopping around.
Below is a list of questions and answers you should expect to hear as you’re shopping for a mover:
- How does your company charge? For example, by the hour? Most reputable companies should charge by the hour for local moves, and often there is a one or two hour minimum. Long distance moves will often be based on weight and miles.
- Do you charge extra for larger items such as piano moving, large screen televisions, or any extra flights of stairs during the move? This is not unusual and will vary by company.
- What payment options do you offer? Reputable companies will accept all forms of payment. Be cautious of companies that only accept cash.
- Is a deposit required? Most reputable companies require a deposit to hold your move. Most deposits are refundable within a certain number of days prior to your move if you cancel.
- What kind of training have your movers and drivers completed? Reputable companies should be able to tell you what training their employees have gone through to prepare them for the job.
- Are items insured during the move? Always check what is insured and covered prior to your move, especially if you have high value items.
- What kind of cancellation policy do you offer? You should always be able to cancel or postpone until a few days before your move.
- Do you offer free moving quotes? Never pay for an estimate! For homes larger than three bedrooms, try to get an on-site estimate completed by the moving company. Be thorough in identifying all the items you need moved. Don’t forget the garage, loft and shed!
- What is the contact number for the day of the move should any challenges arise? A reputable mover will provide a contact number in which you can reach a team member at any time.